Pav Bhaji in Microwave
By IFB | April 17, 2021
Pre heat time: 40 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
Servings: 04 portions
- 4 tbsp salted butter
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- ½ green bell pepper, diced
- ½ red bell peapper, diced
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 3 cups – 1 inch cauliflower florets
- 2 large potatoes peeled and cut into cubes
- 3 diced tomatoes
- ½ cup frozen green peas
- 1 cup water
- 4 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp pav bhaji masala
- 1 tbsp kashmiri red chili powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ cup fresh coriander leaves, finely chopped
- 06 buns or pav
- 1 medium finely diced red onion
- 1 lime
- In a microwave safe glass bowl add butter, onion, ginger, garlic, and bell peppers and cook for 5 mins at 100% micro power level. Now add the cauliflower, potatoes, tomatoes, peas, and 2 teaspoons salt; pour in the water; continue to cook for another 08 mins at 100% micro power level.
- After 3 mins, mash the mixture with a potato masher and continue cooking.
- Now stir in the tomato puree, pav bhaji masala, red chilli powder and turmeric, followed by 2 tbsp butter. Mash this mixture and continue cooking at 100% micro power level for 2 mins.
- Cover the pot with a glass lid as the bhaji will start to splatter and cook until heated through, continue cooking for 5 mins. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt, pav bhaji masala, coriander leaves and chilli powder. Heat again for a minute at 100% micro power level.
- Just before serving, use the remaining 4 tbsp butter to spread and 1 tsp room-temperature butter on the cut side and over the top and bottom of each bun/pav. Heat the baking tray on 180⁰C for 6 mins. Add the buttered buns and toast each side until golden brown, for 4 minutes each side at 180⁰C.
- Spoon the bhaji onto the plate, sprinkle with red onion, coriander leaves, and a dot of butter and serve with the toasted buns and lime wedges on the side.