Chicken Vol au Vents in Microwave
By IFB | June 17, 2022
Program: Top and bottom heater with fan
Pre heat temp: 190°C
Pre heat time: 10 mins
Cook temp: 200°C
Cook time: 20 mins
- 100 g chicken boneless, small cubes
- 200 g white mushrooms
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion, chopped
- ½ tsp black pepper, crushed
- 1 tsp dry mix herbs
- ½ tsp chili flakes
- Salt to taste
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cooking cream
For Pastry Shells:
- Puff pastry sheets
- 1 Egg whisked with 2 tbsp milk, for egg wash
- 2 Round cutters, one slightly smaller than the other
- In a microwave safe glass bowl add all ingredients for filling except flour and cream. Cook the mixture for 7 mins at 100% micro power level.
- Combine cream and refined flour in a small bowl and add to the cooked chicken filling mixture. Heat the filling mixture for 3 mins at 100% micro power level till it turns semi dry.
- Take a frozen puff pastry sheet and cut rounds out of it.
- On a baking tray lined with parchment paper, place these rounds with distance between them. This is the base of the vol au vent shells.
- Cut some more rounds of the same size and by using a slightly smaller cutter (cut out the inner portion so you are left with an outer ring. If you have 10 bases you need 20 outer rings. 2 outer rings for each puff pastry base.
- Brush the bottom base with egg wash, place one outer ring on the edges. Prick the middle of the base 2-3 times to prevent that area from puffing up. Then brush some egg wash, place the second ring.
- Give a final brush of egg wash and repeat for all rounds. Refrigerate these pastries for 15 mins.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°C (400 °F) for 20 mins until golden and puffy.
- Take out and spoon some of the chicken and mushroom filling inside.
- Garnish with chives and serve.