By IFB | May 25, 2022
Program: Top and bottom heater with fan
Pre heat temp: 190°C
Pre heat time: 10 mins
Cook temp: 190°C
Cook time: 15 mins
- 1 1/2 cups parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 sheets puff pastry, divided
- Heat the oven to 190°C, line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats and set aside.
- Sprinkle work surface with 1/4 cup of the cheese.
- Place 1 sheet of the puff pastry on the cheese.
- Sprinkle 1/4 cup of the cheese over the puff pastry.
- Roll out to 1/8-inch thick. Using a rolling pin, this presses the cheese into the pastry. Fold the sheet of pastry in half.
- Top with another 1/4 cup of cheese. Roll the pastry out again until 1/8-inch thick. The exact dimensions of the puff pastry don't matter.
- Cut into strips. Using a knife and cutting straight down. Cut the pastry into long strips about 1-inch wide.
- Transfer each strip to one of the baking sheets, spaced an inch or so apart. As you set them down, twist the ends in opposite directions to give the straws a spiraled look.
- Chill for at least 10 mins or up to an hour. This helps firm up the straws and give them better puff in the oven.
- Bake for 15 to 25 mins. Bake the first sheet of cheese straws until they are puffed and crispy, feel dry to the touch, and are deep golden brown. The exact baking time will depend on the size of your straws.
- Let cool until the straws are firm enough to lift from the sheet without bending. Transfer to a cooling rack or serving plate.
- Puff pastry straws are best served the same day they are made
Validate your login
Create New Account