Dal Khichdi in Microwave
By IFB | September 15, 2020
Light at the stomach, Dal Khichdi is an extremely healthy dish and a great blend of protein and carbohydrates.
Preparation time: 30 min
Cooking time: 36 min
Servings: 4 nos
- 30 gm leftover veggies or any sukhi sabji
- ½ cup moong dal (split and husked moong lentils)
- ½ cup rice - you can add any rice, regular short or medium grained rice or even basmati
- 1 small to medium sized onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium sized tomato, chopped
- ½ inch ginger, finely chopped or grated
- 1 small green chilli, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 small green mirch, chopped
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- 3.5 cups water, for a more thin consistency
- 1.5 tbsp oil or ghee
- Salt to taste
1. Rinse and wash moong lentils and rice together.
2. Soak both for 30 min in water.
1. Put 2 tbsp ghee or oil in a microwaveable bowl, add cumin and heat for 2 min at 100% micropower level. When cumin splutters, add onions; heat for 2 min at 100% micropower level.
2. Once onions are translucent, add tomatoes, green chilli and ginger; heat for 2 min at 100% micropower level.
3. Add turmeric powder and asafoetida; heat for 2 min at 100% micropower level. Saute till the tomatoes soften.
4. Add the subji or leftover veggies and heat for 2 min at 100% micropower level.
5. Drain the rice and moong lentils; add them to the above mixture.
6. Stir for a minute. Pour with water and season with salt. Heat this mixture for 26 min at 100% micropower level.
7. Once cooked, top it with ghee while serving.
8. Serve Dal Khichdi hot with curd and accompanying salad.