Shepherd's Pie in Microwave
By IFB | August 20, 2022
Program: Top and bottom heater with fan
Pre heat temp: 190°C
Pre heat time: 10 mins
Cook temp: 200°C
Cook time: 25 mins
For the potatoes:
- ½ kg potatoes
- ½ cup fresh cream
- 100 gms butter
- 3/4 tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 egg yolks
For the meat filling:
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 2 mid size onion, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped finely
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 500 gms lamb mince
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper, freshly ground
- 2 tbsps all-purpose flour
- 100 ml tomato puree
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsps rosemary leaves, freshly chopped
- 1 tsp thyme leaves, freshly chopped
- ½ cup american corn
- ½ cup english peas, frozen
- Wash and prick the potatoes with a fork, place the potatoes in a microwave oven and cook for 8 mins at 100% micro power level.
- Mash the potatoes and then add cream, butter, salt and pepper and continue to mash until smooth. Stir in the yolk until well combined. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- To prepare the filling in a microwave safe bowl, add oil, onion, garlic, carrots and cook for 6 mins at 100% micro power level.
- Now add the lamb mince, salt and pepper and cook at 100% micro power level for 8 mins. Sprinkle the meat with the flour and toss to coat, continuing to cook for another 2 mins at 100% micro power level.
- Add the tomato paste, chicken broth, Worcestershire, rosemary, thyme, and stir to combine. Cook at 100% micro power level for 6 mins.
- Add the corn and peas to the lamb mixture and spread evenly into a glass casserole baking dish. Top with the mashed potatoes, starting around the edges to create a seal to prevent the mixture from bubbling up and smooth with a rubber spatula.
- Now with wet spoon tap the surface to give stiff peaks to the potato mash, bake for 25 mins until the potatoes mash begin to brown.
- Sprinkle some fresh rosemary before serving for garnish.