Quiche Lorraine in Microwave
By IFB | June 17, 2022
Program: Top and bottom heater with Fan
Pre heat temp: 170°C
Pre heat time: 10 mins
Cook temp: 170°C
Cook time: 45 mins (for final baking)
For Short Crust Base:
- 180 gms all-purpose flour
- 60 gms butter
- 2 to 3 tbsps chilled water (to bind dough)
- 200 gms smoked chicken sausages, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 cup fresh cream
- 4 eggs, large
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, finely ground
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes paprika
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- A few sprigs parsley, chopped
- 1 egg white, for brushing
Prepare the Pie Crust:
- Rub flour and hard butter with finger tips till it turns crumbly. Add water just to bind the dough.
- Roll out 1 pie crust to 12" on a lightly floured surface or between two pieces of parchment paper, then transfer to the tart pan. Press the pastry dough into the pan with your fingers to mold to the pan.
- Prick the surface of crust with fork. Place a crumb sheet of butter paper add kidney beans. Freeze for about 30 mins, meanwhile, preheat the oven to 170°C with the rack in the middle.
- Pre-Bake the Crust with raw kidney beans.
- Brush the inside of the baked tart with a whisked egg white - this will prevent the crust from becoming soggy from the filling.
Make the Savory Egg Filling:
- While pie is pre-baking, in a microwave safe glass bowl, add chopped sausages, diced onions and cook for 4 mins.
- In another large bowl whisk 4 eggs, then add milk and cream, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1/4 tsp paprika and 1/8 tsp of nutmeg and whisk together for about a minutes to incorporate a little bit of air into the custard.
- Stir in the cheese, prepared bacon and onion. Then pour the filling into the prebaked crust.
- Bake the Quiche Lorraine in a preheated oven at 170°C for about 45 mins, or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean and the center jiggles slightly. The quiche will continue cooking after it is removed from the oven.
- Cool slightly before serving and garnish with parsley if desired.
Validate your login
Create New Account