Kanchipuram Idli in Microwave Oven
By IFB | March 18, 2023
Program: Micro power level
Cook temp: 100% Micro power level
Cook time: 10 mins
- 1/2 cup urad dal (split black lentils)
- 1/2 cup parboiled rice
- 1/2 cup raw rice
- Salt to taste
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp dried ginger powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 whole black peppercorns
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1/2 tbsp chana dal
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp urad dal (split black lentils)
- 1 tsp finely chopped green chilies
- 1/2 tbsp chopped cashew nuts
- 8 curry leaves
- Oil for greasing
- Combine the urad dal and enough water in a deep bowl and mix well. Cover with a lid and keep aside to soak for 4 hours.
- Combine the par-boiled rice, raw rice and enough water in a deep bowl and mix well. Cover with a lid and keep aside to soak for 4 hours.
- Wash and drain the urad dal and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste using approx. 3⁄4 cup of water. Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl and keep aside.
- Wash and drain the par-boiled rice and raw rice and blend in a mixer to a slightly coarse paste using approx. 1⁄2 cup of water.
- Add this mixture to the urad dal mixture, add the salt and mix well.
- Cover it with a lid and keep aside to ferment in a warm place for 10 to 12 hours.
- After fermentation, add the turmeric powder and dried ginger powder and mix well. Keep this batter aside.
- Combine the cumin seeds and peppercorns in a mortal pestle, crush to a coarse mixture and keep aside.
- Combine the sesame oil and ghee in a small bowl and microwave on high for 30 secs.
- Add the chana dal, mustard seeds, urad dal, cumin seeds-peppercorn mixture, green chilies and cashew nuts and curry leaves, mix well and microwave on high for 2 mins.
- Add this tempering to the batter and mix well.
- Pour enough water in a microwave safe idli maker and microwave on high for 2 mins.
- Grease the microwave safe idli stand and pour a spoonful of the batter into each of the greased 8 moulds and place in the container and microwave on high for 4 mins.
- Allow the idlis to cool slightly and demould.
- Repeat with the remaining batter to make more idlis.
- Serve immediately with sambhar and coconut chutney.
Validate your login
Create New Account