Dahi Bhalla Recipe
By IFB | November 3, 2020
Yes it’s possible … in an IFB Microwave Oven!
Soft, refreshing and dunked in curd, make Dahi Bhallas with this easy microwave oven recipe.
Preparation time: 30 min
Cooking time: 10 min
Servings: 4 portions
- 1/4 cup split and skinned green gram
- 1/4 cup split and skinned black gram
- 1/2 tsp fruit salt
- 1/2 inch ginger
- 1 green chilli
- Pinch of asafoetida
- Salt to taste
- 2 cups thick yogurt
- 3-4 tsp sugar (optional)
- Roasted cumin powder to taste
- Salt to taste
For garnishing (quantity as per taste)
- Roasted cumin powder
- Chaat masala
- Red chilli powder
- Khajur imli chutney
- Coriander chutney
- Besan sev/nylon sev
1. Rinse and soak the urad and moong dals together in warm water for 2-3 hours.
2. Transfer the dals to a blender jar and add green chilli, ginger, salt and asafoetida. Grind to a smooth paste, without adding water. You may add very little water if required to make the paste. Make sure the paste is not very thin or thick.
3. Grease the idli steamer and add water to the steamer, heat the steamer at 100% micropower level for 5 min. Transfer the vada batter to a bowl and whisk it well. Now add fruit salt to it and mix nicely.
4. The mixture will turn light and frothy; now add a tablespoon of this mixture to the idli plates. Put the wadas inside the steamer and steam for 6 min. Check if done by inserting a fork. If it comes out clean, the vadas are done. If the batter sticks to the fork, steam for 5 more min.
5. Remove the vadas from the idli plate while still warm. Dip them in a bowl of warm water and let them soak for 15-20 min. Meanwhile, prepare the dahi for the dahi vada. Add roasted cumin powder, salt and sugar to the curd and whisk it.
6. Press the vadas delicately by your hands to remove excess water. Place them in a bowl and add the seasoned curd to it. Refrigerate the bowl until serving time.
7. When ready to serve, garnish the chilled dahi bhalla with dates tamarind chutney, green chutney, pomegranate and nylon sev. Sprinkle roasted cumin powder, chaat masala and red chilli powder to taste.