Focaccia Stuffed with Caramelized Onions
By IFB | February 24, 2021
Yes it’s possible…in an IFB #Microwave Oven!
It’s Bread week! And we have an interesting recipe for you to try out in your microwave oven.
Prep time: 01 hour
Bake time: 25 mins
Servings: 04 portions
- 250 gm all purpose flour
- 10 gm active dry yeast
- 10 gms regular salt
- 5 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for the tin and to serve
- 2 tsp flaky sea salt
- ¼ small bunch of rosemary, sprigs picked
- 2 tbsp browned garlic
- 2 tbsp slice black olives
- 30 gms sundried tomatoes halves
- 4 sprigs fresh basil
For filling :
- 04 – 05 nos. any cream cheese
- 100 gms caramelized Onions
- 50 gms cheese spread
- Add flour into a large mixing bowl. Mix the yeast into one side of the flour, and the fine salt into the other side. Then mix everything together, this initial separation prevents the salt from killing the yeast.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour and add 2 tbsp oil and 350-400ml lukewarm water, adding it gradually until you have a slightly sticky dough.
- Sprinkle the work surface with flour and tip the dough onto it, scraping around the sides of the bowl. Knead for 5-10 mins until your dough is soft and less sticky. Put the dough into a clean bowl, cover with a muslin and leave to rest for 1 hr until doubled in size.
- Oil a rectangle, shallow tin (25 x 35cm). Transfer the dough onto the work surface, then stretch it to fill the tin. Cover with a tea towel and leave to prove for another 35-45 mins.
- Pre-heat the microwave oven on convection mode at 180*C. Press your fingers into the dough to make shallow cavity or dimples. Mix together 1½ tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp water and the flaky salt and drizzle over the bread. Push sprigs of rosemary, garlic, sundried tomatoes, basil, and black olives into the dimples in the dough.
- Bake for 25 mins until golden at 180*C. When the bread is still hot, drizzle over 1-2 tbsp olive oil. Cut into squares and serve warm or cold with extra olive oil.
- Mix cream cheese, cheese spread and caramelized onions together place this filling aside.
- Once the focaccia is completely cooled, slit it horizontally and stuff with the above filling.
- Cut the focaccia slab into small pieces and serve.