Navratri Recipe: Sheera
By IFB | October 21, 2020
Today is Panchami, day five of the nine festive days of Navratri. Halfway through, and the excitement is only growing with this delicious meetha to dedicate to Maa Skandamata. She is the mother of Skanda, the war name for Lord Kartikeya.
Aeons ago, Lord Brahma blessed the demon Tarkasur with a boon—no one could kill him, except the son of Shiva. So, Lord Shiva married Goddess Parvati to become the father of Kartikeya, who grew up to slay Tarkasur.
To honour her, prepare bhog with her favourite food: bananas. This sheera recipe boosts the goodness of ghee with the strength of bananas making the perfect offering. The preparation matches the colour of the day’s celebration, a radiant yellow. Worshipping Her on this day will lead to double the blessings, of good health and prosperity, as you will also worship Lord Skanda seated on her lap.
Preparation time: 20 min
Cooking time: 18 min
Servings: 2 portions
- ½ cup semolina
- 01 No. Banana (Ripened)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup ghee
- ½ tsp cardamom powder
- 12 cashews
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1 tsp chironji
- 1 cup water
- 1 pinch edible camphor
1. In a microwave-safe glass bowl, add ghee and heat the nuts at 100% micropower for 1 min.
2. Remove and place aside. In the same bowl, add ghee again along with semolina; mix well and heat at 100% micropower for 5 min, stirring every 1 min.
3. In another glass bowl, heat water for 6 min at 100% micropower.
4. Add the hot water in the roasted semolina. Mix well till absorbed and no lumps are seen. Add sugar and stir well until sugar dissolves.
5. Heat at 50% micropower for 6 min. Add roasted nuts, cardamom powder and edible camphor; mix well and continue cooking.