Yes it’s possible … in an IFB Microwave Oven!
Try this authentic and easy microwave oven recipe for Sarso da Saag with Makke di Roti, a favourite on Lohri.
Prep time: 40 min
Cooking time: 23 min
Sarso da Saag
- 250 gm mustard greens
- 250 gm spinach
- 1 onion chopped
- 5-6 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 inch ginger chopped
- 2 green chilies chopped
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 3 inch white radish chopped
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- Salt to taste
- 1.5 cups water
- 2 tbsp maize flour
- 2-3 tbsp ghee
- 1/4 tsp hing
- 3-4 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 dried red chilies
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
1. Wash and chop the greens; place in a glass bowl. Add onion, garlic, ginger and chilies.
2. Add tomatoes, radish, chili powder and salt. Add water and stir.
3. Cook at 100% power for 10 min until veggies are soft.
4. Puree the saag in a blender.
5. Mix 2 tbsp maize flour to thicken saag.
6. Let saag simmer for 10 min on 80% power.
7. For tadka, heat ghee. Add ingredients for tempering; heat at 100% power for 3 min.
8. Add coriander powder and garam masala and mix. Once it sizzles, put tadka over the saag and mix.
Makke di roti
Prep time: 20 min
Cooking time: 12 min
Servings: 8-10 pcs
- 3 cups makki ka atta
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp ajwain
1. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix.
2. Add warm water; knead soft dough.
3. Cover and set aside for 10-15 min.
4. Select convection mode; preheat magic tawa with high rack on 180°C.
5. Divide dough in 8-10 equal parts, take one part and add a few drops of water; knead once more.
6. Keep the dough on one parchment paper and cover with another.
7. Gently roll the dough into a 4-5 inch disc.
8. Remove top parchment; flip roti along with bottom parchment on the preheated tawa.
9. Remove the parchment.
10. Cook roti for 12 min on 180°C turn; after 8 min, cook the other side.
11. Apply ghee on top.
12. Serve sarso da saag with makke di roti, sliced onion, jaggery and white butter.